tokyo stories by Tim Anderson
Tokyo Stories is a journey through the boulevards and backstreets of Tokyo via recipes both iconic and unexpected.
Chef Tim Anderson takes inspiration from the chefs, shopkeepers, and home cooks of Tokyo to showcase both traditional and cutting-edge takes on classic dishes like sushi, ramen, yakitori, and tempura. Also included are dishes that Tokyoites love to eat with origins from abroad, like Japanese interpretations of Korean barbecue, Italian pizza and pasta, French patisserie, and American burgers.
Tim tackles his food tour of Tokyo from the ground up, with chapters broken down into:
- Lower Ground Floor: Tokyo on the Go (Department Store Basements, Subway Stations, and Convenience Stores);
- First Floor: Tokyo Local (food traditional to Tokyo);
- Second Floor: Tokyo National (food traditional to Japan);
- Third Floor: Tokyo Global (Japanese food with an international twist)
- Fourth Floor: Tokyo at Home (Japanese home cooking); and,
- Fifth Floor: Tokyo Modern (experimental Japanese food found in high-end hotel bars).