opinel limited edition escapade #08 tour de france | sublimation
The “Les Maillots” edition pays tribute to the iconic jerseys worn by the leaders in each category during the race. The yellow (leader), green (best sprinter), and red polka dot (best climber) are displayed on the No.08 folding knife via the sublimation technique. Delivered in a blue gift box with an official Tour de France sticker.
The 2022 No.08 Tour de France limited edition folding knife is a graphic collaboration with Manivelle (Matthieu Lifschitz), passionate cyclist and art director of 200 Magazine (a French road biking magazine). The intention behind this collaboration was to highlight the strong graphic motifs that are emblematic of the Tour de France.
- Blade length: 8.5cm
- Sandvik 12C27 modified stainless steel: It is anti-corrosive thanks to the addition of chrome and requires no special maintenance. Its carbon content of at least 0.40% gives excellent cutting edge.
- Blade hardness: 57-58 HRC
- Blade: The classic Opinel blade has adopted a Yatagan shape. The Yatagan shape is inspired by a traditional Turkish sabre, the toe up. The blade is ground to an exclusive convex profile that ensures the strength of the blade and allows efficient regrinding.
- Handle: Beech is the most commonly used wood for the manufacture of Opinel handles. From France, beech wood is hard, durable and easy to work. With a homogeneous appearance, its light colour varies from yellow to pink. It is characterised by the presence of numerous small dark dashes.
- Safety ring: Invented by Marcel Opinel in 1955, the Virobloc safety ring is fitted to all folding knives from the N° 06. Cut out of stainless steel, the Virobloc has two sections, one fixed and one sliding. In addition to locking the blade open (safety in use), it is now possible to lock the blade closed (safety in transport).